Loading... Please wait...

What does 5-Free mean?

Posted

 It means that the polish doesn't contain the following five toxic chemicals commonly used in conventional nail polish:



Formaldehyde – A preservative and known carcinogen, it can trigger allergic reactions, rashes, nosebleeds, asthma, and other respiratory issues.

Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) – This chemical keeps conventional nail polishes flexible, but it's known to interfere with reproductive hormones.

Toluene – While it helps conventional nail polish go on smoothly, this solvent is neurotoxic and smells like paint thinner. (It's also added to gasoline.)

Formaldehyde resin – A derivative of formaldehyde, the resin is mainly used in the production of coatings and adhesives. Not as toxic as formaldehyde, it can still contribute to allergic reactions.

Camphor – This chemical acts as a cover on your nails, depriving them of nutrients and causing yellow staining.

We are also Vegan and cruelty free.



Dispose of your old Polishes safely

Nail polish is considered to be household hazardous waste (HHW) because of the toxic chemicals in the polish, according to the EPA, and even 5-Free polishes need to be disposed of properly.

To keep chemicals from leaching into groundwater or landfills, dispose of old polish at a local HHW facility, the same place you take your old electronics, paint, motor oil, and used cooking oil.


 

Recent Updates

Newsletter